Safety for Pilots - Automatic Landing of VTOL UAVs
K-LOC 3D.01.01 is a GNSS-independent, high performance, Radar-based 3D positioning system which enables manned and remotely piloted aerial vehicles (RPAS) to determine their relative position in all environmental conditions. The KY-LOC 3D system allows safe take-off and landing procedures in GPS-denied environments or in scenarios that lack reference points or visual cues.
The system builds up of three elements.
The airborne element which consists of 1-2 airborne receivers which are mounted downwards oriented on the bottom of the fuselage and the Ground Elements consisting of 4-6 ground beacons which are installed around the landing pad and a ground operator visualization SW which displays the aircraft position, The SW can run stand alone or can be easily integrated into any GCS.
For operations on small or moving helidecks, a highly accurate relative 3D position is essential, not to endanger a whole mission. To further improve the mission safety, K-LOC 3D provides a highly reliable bidirectional data link which can be used as fall back in case of a primary data link outage. On top, the airborne units can be switched into a radar altimeter mode to get rid of any existing altimeters and safe even more weight.
- RF-based local positioning system
- GNSS independent ranging signals emitted by Ground Beacons
- Operating Range up to 500m
- Position update rate 20 Hz
- Position Accuracy better than 10 cm during take-off & landing
- 4-6 Ground Beacons
- Quick & easy, ad-hoc deployable or permanent installation
- Battery and or line-powered
- Fully ruggedized for harsh military and naval conditions
- 1-2 Airborne Receivers (Position vs. Position + Heading)
- Standardized Interface providing relative 3-D position, heading & velocity to FMS/Autopilot
- Graphical user interface which can run stand alone or be integrated in any GCS or flight deck management SW